The Missing Link for SLPs
Now What? What if You’re Terrified of What’s Next?
In this episode, I want to discuss being terrified of what’s next. How to move from being terrified to developing a crisis plan. There have been A LOT of changes recently due to COVID-19 and things have changed in the world of SLP. For some...it is a loss of jobs, for some, there is an increase in workload and risk.
- How to move from being terrified to developing a crisis plan in the midst of uncertainty.
- Navigating the changing world for SLPs. For some...it is a loss of jobs, for some, there is an increase in workload and risk.
- The need for a crisis plan: fire escape with the kids and designated meeting places. Now, it never happened, but...
- What if you are terrified of what’s next? Name your fears so you can address them
“Naming hard things doesn’t give them power, it gives us power.” Brene Brown
- Develop a crisis plan (see download)
- Set goals
“You have to apply yourself each day to becoming a little better. By becoming a little better each and every day, over a period of time, you will become a lot better.” John Wooden
- You are not alone - Find a community
- Learn what your resources are and decrease your anxiety
- Take control - Question from one of my students - how do I start? Set a goal and start to implement
- Believe in yourself
- Start becoming stronger
“Here I lie in shattered pieces, each piece reflecting a part of me. This time I put the pieces back together, putting them where I want them to be into my mosaic masterpiece.” Mattie Murrey
Challenge Of The Week
- Look your fears in the face, name them, and begin to conquer them.
Quote Of The Week
“Many times, the thought of fear itself is greater than what it is we fear.” Idowu Koyenikan
Tip For Success
- Be brave. Be strong. Don’t give up. We all are stronger than this.
- What's next? The future of SLPs…
- 5 must-have skills SLPs need for resiliency
- Overcoming the cons of teletherapy
Keep the Conversation Going
Thank you for listening to The Missing Link for SLPs podcast! If you enjoyed the show, I'd love you to subscribe, rate it and leave a short review. Also, please share an episode with a friend. Together we can raise awareness and help more SLPs find and connect those missing links to help them feel confident in their patient care every step of the way.
Not a substitute for a formal SLP education or medical advice for patients/caregivers.
Brought to you by Mattie Murrey, MA, CCC/SLP - Fresh SLP of The Missing Link for SLPs