The Missing Link for SLPs
A Day in the Life of a Medical SLP
In this episode of The Missing Link for SLPs podcast, I want to describe to you how my days play out as a medical speech pathologist in a variety of different settings.
- Storytelling and discussion based on “Post It note questions for the professor”
- Mattie lays out her days in a variety of settings as a medical SLP.
- Key story that hits home from discussion - memory momento
Discussion & Reflection Questions
- What happens during my day
- On a medical unit in a Level 2 trauma hospital
- In a rural hospital
- Outpatient clinic
- Home health
- Private practice
- With insights on
- How I start my day
- How a schedule is created
- Structure/vs no structure
- Activities during the day in addition to therapy
Challenge Of The Week
- This week, think about the medical setting that might best meet your interests and passions.
Quote Of The Week
“Successful people are not gifted; they just work hard, then succeed on purpose.” G.K. Nelson
Tip For Success
- Be mindful of what you enjoy and what you don’t enjoy as you work. Over the course of a career, you want to be doing what you enjoy, over and over.
- Imposter Syndrome
Keep the Conversation Going
Thank you for listening to The Missing Link for SLPs podcast! If you enjoyed the show, I'd love you to subscribe, rate it and leave a short review. Also, please share an episode with a friend. Together we can raise awareness and help more SLPs find and connect those missing links to help them feel confident in their patient care every step of the way.
Not a substitute for a formal SLP education or medical advice for patients/caregivers.
Brought to you by Mattie Murrey, MA, CCC/SLP - Fresh SLP of The Missing Link for SLPs